The Federation of University Women in India was founded on July 24 1920, and got affiliated to the International Federation of University Women in 1921 (the name changed to Graduate Women International in 2015). In 1952-53, the Indian Federation became a registered body.
In 1961-62, the Federation's constitution and by-laws were amended, providing for a strictly federal structure, and the name was changed to Indian Federation of University Women's Associations, with branches being named as Associations with membership status.
The IFUWA Constitution has been amended from time to time to meet the needs of changing times. It was last amended on August 23, 2014. It remains a dynamic instrument of change and guidance.