Mrs. Neelam Jagdale
Mrs. Veena Raman
The University Women’s Association (UWA), Pune, was established in 1949 when a group of prominent women from Pune started a voluntary organisation that strove to educate and empower women from the socially disadvantaged classes.
Following are the activities of UWA Pune
- The Working Women’s Hostel at Gokhale Nagar built in 1979, can comfortably house 80 women at a time.
- Dipika Bal Mandir is our Kindergarten which caters to the children of 3 to 5 years of age. It is one of the few bilingual KG schools in the city.
- Sucharita is aimed at providing support to adolescent girls from low-income groups, studying in 7th to 10th standards. UWA Pune conducts free academic coaching classes for these girls, particularly in Mathematics, Science and English.
- An activity called Chhand Rang has been initiated for imparting income generating skills, in the area of arts and crafts, to girls and women coming from modest financial backgrounds in the neighbourhood.
- Scholarships are awarded to Under-Graduate, Post-Graduate and also to students who are doing Doctoral Research. We are trying to help build a new generation of professional women from struggling classes.
- The Research and Development Cell extends an opportunity for interdisciplinary research to members desirous of undertaking research work in topics related to environmental sciences, natural and social sciences, social work and education, as well as conduct projects of social relevance.