Mrs Mohini Sharma's
The University Women’s Association, Dehradun was formed in 1962 by a group of intellectual and accomplished women and inaugurated by Mrs Laxmi N Menon, the then Minister of State for External Affairs. The Association was set up with the aim to offer a platform to women with University education and support them to further their interests academically, culturally and socially on local, national and international levels.
UWA Dehradun presently undertakes in the following activities:
- Literacy - running Adult literacy and Vocational training centres for underprivileged women
- Adoption of schools - every possible help is provided from infrastructure to consumables for the students adopted by the UWA
- Scholarships - awarding various scholarships to needy and meritorious girl students from various schools and colleges
- Environment upgradation with the motto ‘Green Doon and clean Doon’ (launched on the Golden Jubilee Day of India’s Independence, August 15, 1997) organising tree plantations, waste segregation and management, usage of dustbins and distribution of cloth bags with mottos like ‘Plastic hatao – Pariavaran bachao’
- Disaster and natural calamities - offering assistance during crises situations
- Public Health - holding health care, medical camps and personal hygiene campaigns, installation of sanitary pad dispensing machines for young women
- Old age pension for senior women in distress
- Cultural activities - debates and discussions
Covid19 Relief - during Covid19 pandemic relief services were taken up including distribution of masks free food distribution to the needy and to patients, free transport facilities from homes to hospitals for senior citizens.